Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Following and Creating a Train

So again with the long wait, no protests heard yet...! I thought a post about Trains would be nice, since Rukia and I had the fortune to have a fun go at it yesterday, though not a true train because there were songs in between, it was still fun.

It is amusing to note that most trains that I have done are usually just random thoughts and really had no pre thought of idea before it was begun, or it even may have begun on accident.  You selected a few songs that are similarly themed and decide to just run with that and see how many tracks or albums you can find with that theme.  Last night we ended up doing a curse word train, started with my razzing Rukia with a Cocaine Cowboys track that she laughed at the first time I requested, had the word motherfuker in it.  So she then proceeds to select another track with *** in lieu of a title and I followed suit.  it was a fun train, interesting to find how many tracks have swear words that were ***.  I made a comment in chat though, when Redjack noted that the Mickey Blue Eyes track really didn't coincide with the track title "Fuckin Cookies" It was a pleasant upbeat happy track, not the anger driven song one expected.  I thought it interesting that these track titles with their swear words astericked out don't necessarily reflect the feeling of that swear word. I guess that goes to show that titles do not always tell you what is in store for the song.  We had fun with the train, got some funny comments in chat asking why there were so many bad words in the queue, Rukia blamed it on too much sugar and I blamed it on her!  Only fitting I think.

I have not done a true train in a long while, usually the queue is too busy or I just do not stay up late enough.  I found in interesting that another member, LadyInque who is a scholar, is actually writing a paper on SST, trains and why members do them.  I am not sure entirely what the paper covers, but it is interesting because an academic thought it worthy enough to write about this little aspect of SST! I would be interested to read her paper when done, but when she asked me why I did trains I just said I thought it fun to try to get in as many tracks as you could without interruption and sometimes it is a good way to fill a small queue when you are unsure what to request.  I also admitted that I did like to see my name a bunch of times together in the queue.  I have not been lucky enough though to get an entire queue to myself, though others have and I applaud them for that!

It is just another aspect of SST that I think makes this place unique and fun.  Trains with another are great too because you get to compete, in a way, in who can find the most tracks or weirdest tracks in line with the train theme.  It is also a way to maybe find new music that you would not have requested otherwise.  It is also a challenge to find a unique theme to attempt.  It is another way to have fun and enjoy the site a little more...in my humble opinion...!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ever elusive trek train still has not been created at SST due to outright sabotage by some members... LOL

Post a Comment