Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bein' Green

Well, hello news, I got promoted to Moderator status on SST!  So now I too am a greenie! I think it will be a good experience, lots to learn along the way I suppose.

So I thought I'd do a posting today on my fellow Greens.  I honestly do not know all the moderators very well, Nate was the most known to me, as seen in a previous posting.  But I have been on this side of the ocean and the other so I think i have had a fair chance to see all the moderators at work and get a semi-good picture of them.  Alchemist and SiriusCreations are the European ones, Sirius being promoted last year was the newest member of the group.  Alchemist is not a big chatter, usually on at work so obviously busy with all that fun stuff that is a job.   He is a huge Hisaishi fan though and usually a song from that composer can bring him out of lurk mode, even if only for a few minutes. In my observation he keeps to himself mostly, not really talking much but being a proactive help on the site whenever needed.  Sirius is also a genuinely nice guy, I think he holds the record for most SST meetings!  He has met a lot of members and I have only heard positive things about their encounters.  Sirius seems to me as one always willing to help when needed, to go the extra mile to make things a little easier for others and to ensure all runs smooth.

The American moderators are another three gentlemen who I could say are the complete opposite of each other.  Obi-son and Jbarta are the silly ones, always out for a laugh, being as silly as one could be.  While jb tends to lurk often enough, Obi gets around and he is always a laugh to have around.  His epic Smith battles were a thing of legend. I don't know either very well, this is all just what I've seen over the few years. J2Brown is the more serious of the bunch, and he certainly knows it.  He is the enforcer of the rules while he is in chat.  Although he is a Virginian, he'll greet you with a "Howdy," maybe he picked it up from Woody, who knows. But he does an excellent job of reminding you to change your fire alarm batteries and switch your clocks for daylight savings time, always a helpful reminder. 

From the view of all the mods listed above, it seems it is best to sit back, retain your aura of authority and never get too personal with anyone.  I laughed when I first entered chat today, being green for the first time, and Nessy said she thought it strange that a mod would hug her!  I didn't see any reason to stop being ME as I've created in chat, but it struck a note with me.  Are moderators just watchful guardians?  Perhaps, maybe I do talk too much.  The bar from the other mods would set that up as a standard, but I do not want to be like that.  Nothing wrong with them, of course, they are great as is. 

Well I suppose this was a little off, but Mod observations are never easy...

1 comments:

NessySheep said...

Hey, you got me wrong ! ;-)
I didn't want to say it would be odd that YOU would hug me =)
I just first read the hugs and saw the green name. And because the other mods wouldn't hug me, I was surprised. After that, I read the green name and remembered what I just read before: My big SST-sister became a mod, YAY !
And PLEASE ! Don't become one of them ! ;-) We wanna have our old beloved Jade, just with a pretty green name =)
*BIG CONGRATS HUGS* :-*
Nessy =)

Post a Comment