Monday, January 4, 2010

Furyen

I think it would be appropriate to start with the most important member, to me, on the site.

I met him, online at least, in May of 2009. Although he has been a member since the site began, mid 2002, he was not around much. Happenstance that he showed back up when I was there. His SST name is Furyen, and no it is not based off of the Vin Diesel movie, something random he invented way back whenever. My observations of him are now a bit skewed since I have met him in person twice, and we are in a relationship. But it all began with a simple chat post. What can one convey through words without seeing the person's expressions? It is hard, always the chance of misinterpretation, but flirting is usually rather easy to observe. To me in those first months, he was a blessing. Engaging me with questions, ensuring my evenings were not boring. He then stated that he came on just to chat with me, how could a girl refuse that?

His words were simple, his questions probing, he asked me the color of my car and would love to guess, never getting it right of course. He came off as a sweet guy, though that is easy to fake in a chat room. But I had other member to ensure that those thoughts were correct. He joined the site for the sole fact that he loved score music and the online radio was an easy way to listen to new things and to meet people who shared his interests. He had the reputation of hating every score, especially Hans Zimmer (though side note he now LoVeS the Holmes score). Elliot Goldenthal was his hero and no one could challenge that. He came off as cocky and set in his ways, loving a good score debate.

If I could sum up anything about Furyen, it is that how a person acts online in a chat room is only the side they allow you to see, meeting them in person is something completely different. I guess that is a benchmark for this blog, most of the friends I have there, and those members who are not friends, I have never met and likely will not ever meet. It is something completely different to meet them in person. The few times I have done it, its been amazingly fun, but that is for another posting.

Furyen, to you I will be forever glad I found my way to SST.

0 comments:

Post a Comment